LRGHealthcare is committed to partnering with students and educational institutions to provide appropriate student observations within our healthcare system. Student observations are intended for high school students not matriculated in a health career college level program who may be researching a career in healthcare. Student observations consist of a one-time, four to six hour observation.
To ensure adequate resources and a quality experience, the following requirements are in place for all student observations at LRGHealthcare:
- Observer must be 15 years or older
- Observations are not compensated
- Observers cannot shadow a relative or observe within the same department a relative is working
- No observations are allowed in the following areas: Emergency Room, Intensive Care Unit, Provider Practices or Surgical Services
- Applications for a student observation must be submitted and received by Volunteer Services a minimum of two weeks prior to any observation
- Immunization records must be included with any application. Immunization requirements:
Rubeola (Measles)-proof of immunization with two measles-containing vaccines or Titer report or MD documented disease
Mumps-proof of immunization with two mumps-containing vaccines or Titer report or MD documented disease
Rubella-documentation of Titer or MMR vaccine or MD documented disease
Tuberculosis-proof of two-Step Tuberculin Skin Test done within the last 12 months or Proof of IGRA results
Chicken Pox-proof of two varicella vaccinations or Titer or MD documented disease
Influenza-provide documentation or date of most recent influenza vaccine (During flu season, December - April)
If you are looking for an observation experience, please call Education Services at 934-2060 ext. 8329 or 527-2997.
*Please Note: Although we strive to accommodate all observation requests, there are times we cannot grant a request. All observations are subject to availability, appropriate clinical site setting and prior approval.
Any questions, please contact the LRGHealthcare Education Office at (603) 527-7120.
An internship at LRGHealthcare is typically a requirement of a matriculated healthcare program. The length of an internship can vary by student. (Anywhere from weeks to months)
To ensure adequate resources and a quality experience, the following requirements are in place for all internships at LRGHealthcare:
- Internships are not compensated
- Requests for internships must be submitted and received in the LRGHealthcare Education Services a minimum of four weeks prior to any internship
- The student and/or faculty advisor is responsible to contact LRGHealthcare Education Services once they have established placement with a preceptor
- A contract between each educational institution and LRGHealthcare must be approved, signed and in place with LRGHealthcare Education Services prior to any internship. (Contracts are intended to outline the expectations and responsibilities of students, academic institutions and LRGHealthcare)
- Educational institutions are required to maintain student/faculty liability insurance (Must be indicated in the contract)
- Internship placement is dependent upon satisfactory results of appropriate background checks, and verification that a student is not excluded by the Office of Inspector General (OIG) and/or Excluded Parties List System (EPLS) from working in a healthcare environment
- Students requesting placement must also complete a 10-Panel drug screen from a SAMHSA certified drug testing lab within 30 days of starting internship. Any questionable findings from a criminal background check or drug screen will be subject to review and approval by the LRGHealthcare Human Resources Department
- Proof of health insurance coverage and the student/facility immunization records per LRGHealthcare immunization standards must be submitted to LRGHealthcare prior to initiation of any student internship
- Immunization records must be included with every application. Immunization requirements:
(Measles)-proof of immunization with two measles-containing vaccines or Titer report or MD documented disease
proof of immunization with two mumps-containing vaccines or Titer report or MD documented disease
-documentation of Titer or MMR vaccine or MD documented disease
-proof of two-Step Tuberculin Skin Test done within the last 12 months or Proof of IGRA results
-proof of two varicella vaccinations or Titer or MD documented disease
provide documentation or date of most recent influenza vaccine (During flu season, December - April) Also highly recommended for all students who may be at risk of occupational exposure of Hepatitis B
- Proof of vaccination series, titer showing immunity or signed declination is required for all students who may have risk of occupational exposure
- Please provide records of any hepatitis B vaccines, boosters received and/or titer results
Recommended (but not required) immunizations for all students is Tetanus/Tdap. Please provide date of last tetanus status (Tetanus Td or Tdap)
All students and school faculty are required to complete additional internship clearance forms prior to beginning their educational experience at LRGHealthcare. Please contact the LRGHealthcare Office of Education Services at (603) 934-2060 x8329 for more information and required forms.