Welcome to Lakes Region General Hospital
Welcome to Lakes Region General Hospital (LRGH). Our mission is to provide quality, compassionate care and to strengthen the well-being of our community.
LRGH is a community and regional acute care facility with a licensed bed capacity of 132 beds. We offer a comprehensive range of medical, surgical, diagnostic, occupational and rehabilitative services, as well as community health and wellness education programs. We are committed to providing a network of dedicated physicians and providers, supported by the highest quality of services to meet all of your family's healthcare needs.
Our Emergency Services department is staffed with specially trained physicians, nurses and staff, providing the highest quality care, delivered with the care and compassion. 24-hour availability of state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment, and both ground and air transfer capability to tertiary care facilities.
We proudly serve the Lakes Region communities of Laconia, Gilford, Alton, Ashland, Barnstead, Belmont, Center Harbor, Gilmanton, Meredith, Moultonborough, New Hampton and Sandwich.
In 1891, Laconia began to wonder, shall we have a hospital? An editorial in the Laconia Daily Democrat read; "We want, in short a place where sick people can go to recover their health, and be sure of getting careful nursing and good, wholesome sanitary surroundings. We want beds for those able to pay, and we want free beds for those who cannot pay and are deserving of charity."
Laconia resident Rhoda Ladd listened. In 1893, Aunt Rhoda, as so many in town referred to her left her entire estate to the town of Laconia, suggesting it open its first hospital. After numerous charity events, community donations and volunteer support, Rhoda's Court Street home became the Cottage Hospital, opening in 1897 with a mission to provide quality care to anyone in need.
To support patient care, in 1898 the Laconia Hospital School of Nursing was organized, and graduated its first student in 1899. (From inception to closure in 1969 the Laconia School of Nursing program graduated more than 500 nurses)
In 1905, the city held an elaborate program to celebrate its 50th anniversary of the incorporation of Laconia as a Town. The highlight of the event was the presentation by Rev. Jeremiah S. Jewett of the deed to the Jewett property as the permanent site for the erection of hospital buildings, along with a donation of $3,000 to begin the project. The conditional deed, executed July 29, 1905 transferred the family parcel of land on 'Jewett Hill,' known today as 'Hospital Hill' to the Laconia Hospital Association.
Opening in 1908, in the present Highland Street location, the hospital was renamed the Laconia Hospital, and over the years it continued to grow to accommodate the needs of Laconia residents and beyond.
In 1967, the name was changed to Lakes Region General Hospital, and today, LRGH is part of LRGHealthcare-a comprehensive healthcare system representing LRGH, FRH and twenty two provider and network affiliate services designed to meet all of the health and wellness needs of the Lakes and Three Rivers regions.
Lakes Region General Hospital
80 Highland Street
Laconia, NH 03246
Franklin Regional Hospital
15 Aiken Avenue
Franklin, NH 03235