|Tips for preparing nutritious meals|
Here are some helpful hints for making healthier meals for you and your family:
- Use fresh foods as soon as possible to avoid loss of vitamins. To preserve the nutrients in vegetables, lightly steam rather than boil.
- Choose lean meats and trim off the fat. Use more poultry (try lean ground turkey), fish and legumes and less red meat.
- Bake, broil or steam foods instead of frying.
- Take the skin off turkey and chicken.
- Season foods with herbs and spices instead of high-fat sauces, butter or margarine.
- Use low-fat or nonfat milks, yogurts and cheeses.
- Snack on fresh fruit or low-fat frozen yogurt.
- Refrigerate sauces, soups and stews for several hours before serving and skim the fat.
- Switch to low-calorie salad dressings.
- Read nutrition labels, and avoid foods high in fat and sodium.
© 2014 Dowden Health Media