Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism are two conditions caused by a hormone imbalance. Some of the symptoms include fatigue, weight loss, weight gain and dry skin.
Try this test at home if you suspect you have a thyroid problem.
- Hold a mirror in your hand, focusing on the area of your neck just below the Adam’s apple and immediately above the collarbone. Your thyroid gland is located in this area of your neck.
- While focusing on this area in the mirror, tip your head back.
- Take a drink of water and swallow.
- As you swallow, look at your neck. Check for any bulges when you swallow. Reminder: Don’t confuse the Adam’s apple with the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is located further down on your neck, closer to the collarbone. You may want to repeat this process several times.
- If you do see any bulges or protrusions in this area, talk to your doctor.
Source: The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists.