|Facing the facts on women and heart disease|
The American Heart Association reports:
- One in three American women have some form of cardiovascular disease.
- Twenty-three percent of women die within a year following a heart attack compared to 18 percent of men.
- Within five years after a heart attack, almost 25 percent of women will have a second attack, and 12 percent to 25 percent will be disabled with heart failure.
- Sixty-four percent of women who die suddenly from coronary heart disease have no previous symptoms.
- Each year, one in 30 female deaths occur from breast cancer; one in 2.6 occur from cardiovascular disease.
- Cardiovascular disease claims the lives of over 460,000 women each year.
- Coronary heart disease rates in women after menopause are two to three times those of women the same age who haven’t experienced menopause.
© 2014 Dowden Health Media