|6 steps toward a more active lifestyle|
Fitting an exercise program into your schedule doesn’t have to involve a large checkbook or even a lot of time. Known as “lifestyle workouts,” the following list was created for even the busiest people.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator. This alternative burns calories and tones muscles. If your destination is several stories away, walk several flights and ride the rest.
- Avoid your intercom. At work, walk down the hallway rather than use the intercom system, the telephone or e-mail to talk to a co-worker.
- Walk instead of drive. It may not be the speediest mode of transportation, but it’s effective when you want to visit a neighbor down the street, take your child to a nearby park or pick up a couple of items at the corner market.
- Walk during lunch. Take a friend for company or listen to a book on tape to make your walk mentally as well as physically productive.
- Clean the house. You’ll have to do more than load the dishwasher to get your heart pumping, but a vigorous cleaning that takes two to three hours may be just what the doctor ordered. (And you’ll have something to show for it in the end.)
- Ride your bike. It’s quicker than walking, cheaper than driving and it burns calories.
© 2014 Dowden Health Media