|De-stress your body|
At the end of the day, do you find the day’s tension seems to be stored in your neck and shoulder muscles? Are you headachy, sore and tired? Try this relaxation exercise at night to rid your body of tension or in the morning as an energizer.
- Lie down on the floor. Wear loose, comfortable clothing. Place pillows under your head and knees. Your arms can either be beside you, resting on your stomach or out to the side.
- Take a few deep breaths. Relax your body and let your mind go blank.
- Tense the muscles in your left foot. Flex your toes and then curl them. Now, let go. Release the muscles and the stress. Repeat with the right foot.
- Follow this technique for each part of your body: calves, thighs, buttocks, abdomen, chest, arms, hands, neck, shoulders and face. Focus on one body part at a time and don’t move on to the next until you feel completely relaxed. Since tension likes to take hold of shoulders, you may have to concentrate on that area longer.
- Lie still for 15 minutes and breathe deeply. When you are finished, your body should feel warm and relaxed. Keep your mind blank and focus on the energy flowing throughout your body. Get up slowly.
© 2014 Dowden Health Media