|30 minutes to better health|
Take at least 30 minutes to boost your immune system, your energy level and your well being.
Start with the exercises described below. (Check with your doctor first.) Slowly increase
repetitions, add other moves and incorporate 10 minutes of aerobic activities such as walking,
jogging, cycling and swimming. Don’t forget indoor aerobic activities, such as jumping jacks,
running in place, stair climbing and jumping rope.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Bend from the waist, leaning forward as far as you
can but keeping your head above your waist. Rotate each arm 20 times. Lean to your right side
and repeat the arm rotations; repeat entire sequence, leaning to your left.
- Shrug your shoulders, bringing them close to your ears; repeat five times.
- Lie on your right side. Bend your right leg at a 90-degree angle. Raise your left leg to a
45-degree angle, keeping the foot flexed, and lower to just above the floor. Repeat five times.
Turn and repeat sequence on the other side.
- Lie on your right side, supporting your upper body on your right forearm. Bend your left
leg, keeping your left foot flat on the floor in front of you, and hold onto your left knee with your
left hand. Lift right leg to a 45-degree angle, keeping the foot flexed, and lower to just above the floor. Do five lifts; turn to other side and repeat.
- Lie on your back. Clasp your hands behind your head, shoulders pointing up. Slowly raise your upper body until your shoulder blades are off the floor. Slowly return to floor. Repeat 10 times.
- Get on your hands and knees for this easier version of the classic push-up. Your knees should be slightly behind your hips. Pointing your fingers forward, bend your arms to lower your chest slowly to within three inches of the floor. Do five repetitions.
Arm and upper-body extension
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Pull a towel tautly behind your head; slowly raise it as high as you can. Hold for a count of five and lower slowly. Repeat five times.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent. Make 10 large arm circles in front of you.
- From a normal, standing position, slowly raise yourself on your toes. Hold for two seconds. Repeat 10 times, keeping your arms and shoulder loose and relaxed
© 2014 Dowden Health Media