The Internet is an incredible resource for information, communication, education and entertainment. However, the online world can also be dangerous for a child who is unaware of its darker side. As a parent, it’s your job to determine when your child is mature enough to navigate and explore the Internet. Here are some tips on how to help your child surf the Web safely:
- Establish rules and set limits for Internet use.
- Keep the computer in a place where you can keep an eye on it.
- Know what websites your child visits. Consider installing software to block sites that are inappropriate.
- Be wary of chat rooms. If your child is using them, know what the chat rooms discuss and monitor your child’s actions there.
- Ensure that you and your child are aware of the laws governing downloading music and movies.
- Tell your kids to never reveal their personal information online.
- Very young children should always be supervised when using the Internet.