Just watching people glide through the poses as they do tai chi can be relaxing. Tai chi, used for over 2,000 years in China, is a great form of gentle exercise. If you practice regularly, you can enjoy many health benefits.
Tai chi is a self-paced, low-impact exercise made up of postures and movements. It’s performed slowly, allowing each movement to flow into the next without stopping. Most people can practice tai chi—alone or in a group—because its poses focus on technique, not strength.
Tai chi can lead you into a meditative state and can also:
- reduce stress and blood pressure
- increase flexibility, muscle strength and definition
- boost energy, stamina and agility
- improve balance, coordination and cardiovascular fitness
- relieve chronic pain
- increase calmness and sleep quality
Want to get started? A trained tai chi instructor can teach you the right way to practice. Check your local community education center for classes near you.