|6 steps to heal a cut|
- Stop the bleeding. Apply firm but gentle pressure with a clean cloth or piece of gauze for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Clean the wound. Use cool running water and skip the soap, hydrogen peroxide and iodine, which can be irritating.
- Apply an antibiotic ointment or cream.
- Put a bandage over the wound to keep dirt out.
- Change the bandage daily or more often if it becomes dirty or wet.
- Look for signs of infection—redness, pain, drainage, warmth, swelling or odor.
© 2014 Dowden Health Media