1. Limit your bath or shower to five to 10 minutes. After this time, skin begins to dry out.
2. Use warm—not hot—water. Hot water removes oils from skin.
3. Keep the bathroom door closed to lock in moisture.
4. Choose a mild, fragrance-free cleanser. Soaps containing alcohol or heavy fragrances can irritate dry skin and strip it of oil.
5. Apply moisturizer within three minutes of getting out of the shower or bath. Moisturizers trap water in the skin and keep it from evaporating. Look for ingredients such as lactic acid, urea, hyaluronic acid, dimethicone, glycerine, lanolin and mineral oil.