|Are you hip to health screenings?|
Preventative health screenings such as mammograms and colonoscopies can literally be lifesavers. But how much do you know about these and other crucial exams? Test yourself by seeing whether you can answer the following questions correctly:
- False. The American Cancer Society currently recommends that women with a high lifetime risk for breast cancer(greater than 20 percent) get a MRI in addition to their mammogram. If your lifetime risk is 15 percent to 20 percent talk with your healthcare provider about whether adding an MRI is right for you.
- C. FOBT is one option for colon and rectal cancer screening, which should begin at age 50 for most people.
- C. Exercise actually does the bones good. Weight bearing exercises such as walking, jogging, dancing, stair-climbing, racquet sports and hiking for instance, place a demand on your bones, making them stronger and denser.
- True. Your best defense against cervical cancer is a Pap test which can detect abnormal cell changes before symptoms appear. Pap tests are recommended at least every three years.
- D. "D" is for diameter, and doctors look for a measurement greater than 6 millimeters (about the size of a pencil eraser). However a cancerous growth can be smaller.
- A. Everyone needs a lipid test, which measures the fats in your blood. Also known as a lipid panel, this test includes total cholestrol, HDL(good) and (bad) cholestrol and triglyceride levels.
- True. Men normally have low levels of PSA in thier blood, but cancer can increase those levels. But benign conditions can raise levels, too.
|1. ||If your lifetime risk for breast cancer is 10 percent, you should supplement a yearly mammogram with magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).|
|2. ||A fecal occult blood test (FOBT) looks for:|
|3. ||You may need a bone density screening earlier than the recommended age of 65 if you’re at increased risk of osteoporosis. Which of the following is not a risk factor for the disease?|
|4. ||Cervical cancer death rates are higher in world populations that don’t have routine Pap tests.|
|5. ||Which of the following is not part of the ABCD acronym dermatologists use to diagnose skin cancer?|
|6. ||Women should get a lipid test:|
|7. ||Elevated levels of the protein PSA may indicate prostate cancer.|
© 2014 Dowden Health Media