|HealthExtra: Fish out of water|
Experts tell us fish is an important part of a healthy diet, but how can you tell whether the fresh fish you’re buying is safe? Follow these U.S. Food and Drug Administration tips:
- A fish’s eyes should be clear and bulge a little. Only a few fish, such as walleye pike, have naturally cloudy eyes.
- Whole fish and filets should have firm, shiny flesh.
- Fresh whole fish should have bright red gills.
- Avoid fish that’s slimy, darkened around the edges or has brown or yellowish discoloration.
- The fish’s flesh should spring back when pressed and not appear dry or mushy.
- Fish should smell fresh and mild, not fishy or ammonia-like.
When in doubt, don’t!
© 2014 Dowden Health Media